Growing with H2O2
Hydrogen peroxide is most commonly used in hydroponic systems, but it can be used in soil and coco as well.
H2O2 CAN BE USED TO COMBAT:
- Root rot
- Fungal infections
Never use hydrogen peroxide while using beneficial bacteria / microbes.
H2O2 will kill all the GOOD bacteria, along with the bad!
HOW TO USE H2O2 AS A DISINFECTANT:
Hydrogen peroxide can be used as a surface cleaner and a disinfectant for
all your grow equipment Use it to disinfect: pots, floors, and equipment.
To use it as a disinfectant, dilute with 20 parts water to 1 part hydrogen
peroxide along with a drop of detergent to help it penetrate.
PROS OF USING H2O2:
Less chance of insects, fungus, and algae
CONS OF USING H2O2:
Will kill all beneficial bacteria
Can be dangerous if improperly handled or stored
HOW TO SAFELY HANDLE H2O2:
Store in a cool, dark place
Wear protective gloves when handling concentrated hydrogen peroxide
Never ingest H2O2
SAFTEY CONCERNS WITH H2O2:
In higher concentrations H2O2 can burn skin and eyes
Hydrogen peroxide can build up pressure and explode in a sealed container
TIPS AND TRICKS:
- Always dilute H2O2 before adding to your growing medium. Even with hydroponics!
- H202 can be foliar sprayed onto your plants as an insecticide!
- Hydrogen peroxide can be used to treat water that contains high levels of chlorine.
- Diluting tap water with H2O2 before adding it to your reservoir can help to combat the negative effects of chlorine.
- H2O2 can be used to help kill bacteria in seeds and kickstart the germination process. Soak them in a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water before starting your germination routine.
- Hydrogen peroxide can be diluted with water and mixed with your soil to provide oxygen to your plant's roots!
Have you ever grown with hydrogen peroxide? Is it something you'd like to experiment with?
Feel free to comment below!
**A reminder to always handle H2O2 with care!**